Saturday, May 5, 2012

Up All Night

This is a tough post to write.

It's 11:30 p.m.  and Mojo's outside and won't come in.  He's been out for a couple of hours now, and he just won't come in. 

We've tried everything in our play book, but nothing has worked tonight.  For a while, when he first went off-leash in the back yard, he would be reluctant to come in and trot off in the other direction.  But you could cut him off at the pass, point to the ground and say "down", and he would lie down to be leashed for the walk in.  Lately, he has stopped doing that, but up until this evening, we could ultimately get him to come in.  Most of the time, he will just come in when we say it's time.  A little slowly, but still he'd come.

For what ever reason, with what ever is going on in his mind, he just wants to be outside.  He is wandering around, sniffing, pacing, walking the perimeter, occasionally passing by the back door, but any attempts to go toward him sends him running off in the other direction.

He doesn't seem to be scared, we know he hasn't been spooked, and he knows he's welcome to come in (we even propped the door open and given him space to come in a couple times -- this has worked in the past), but he's having none of it.

Without question, this is the most difficult time we've had with him since he got here.  I'm up writing this because it's hard to sleep with him out there. I rather doubt that Jay will get much sleep either ... and I know this is really really bothering Jay.  He has always been able to get Mojo to come in for him.

Mojo's safe -- the yard is securely fenced and we've left the porch light on for him -- but it's unsettling and frankly, it hurts.

We totally understand that he has a lot of bad past experiences that need to be undone.  I know that it will take a lot of time and repitition to literally alter his brain chemistry to forget the old and be repatterned with the new.

But what to make of this?

Going forward, it would seem he can't be off-leash in the yard, particularly at night.  At least for now.  We don't want him out there.  We want him inside, even on the bed with us while we settle in for the night.

Apparently this won't be a restful night here for anybody.

11 comments:

  1. This may sound silly but maybe it has to do with the super moon last 2 nights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the SECOND person to say that! The other posted on facebook. It's an interesting concept. I don't really know. But regardless, it was a night for reflection on my part as well, and I came to realize that I need to learn better Pack Leader behavior. I bought The Dog Whisperer's book on that very subject today; we have spent too much time living in Mojo's past when even Mojo doesn't completely live there. But I love that suggestion and I do want to look more into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope he has decided to come in. So sorry to hear about this trouble. I can relate - my new foster dog Buck does not like coming in or going out the side door to the backyard. Not sure if it is doors or steps or confined space he doesn't like. I spent a good part of yesterday with the door held open just trying to let him go in and out on his own terms. He is doing better. Maybe his tail got slammed in a door once? Although it looks normal. Who knows?! Poor dogs and their troubled past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He came in at 8 in the morning ... about a 12 hour period. He barely even sits down when he's out. He just paces and paces. We have miles to go trying to work all this out, but we will work it out!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to read about this bad night. Our newest adopted dog, Gracie, who was found as a stray is very afraid of storms. She seems to know they are coming before we even hear the thunder. We have purchased a thundershirt and this seems to be very calming to her when we put it on. But the fact he wouldn't come in doesn't really make sense. Is it possible he hears coyotes or something and this is a protective response, for you two and his home? I wish you the best, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Leslie -- no idea what he is processing when he gets like that. I wish he was protecting us, but I don't get the sense that we're involved in what he's doing at all when he's like this (other than to want to get as far away from us as possible).

      I'm pouring through one of Cesar Millan's books: Be the Pack Leader and it's helping us understand a lot about him and dogs in general ... actually, helping us understand a lot about what we need to do better ... but so far I haven't seen this particular situation addressed.

      We've gone back to keeping him on-leash outside for now, and are working on "come" training because he's apparently thinking he's got Alpha dog status and we need to correct that. We can't risk putting him out "unplugged" if we can't know that he'll come in when called.

      It's a process!

      Delete
  5. Any updates on Mojo? I've been watching The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Wild channel and have learned some tips and tricks. A lot of it makes sense and it's worked with our dog and our foster dog. I check every few days to see if there is an update on Mojo and I'm sure others are wondering too! Hope everything is well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you to ask! I think I've got a real case of writer's block ... although I hate to admit it.

      Actually, things are going very well. Some of his quirks are dissolving, and we have become rabid readers/watchers of The Dog Whisperer and it has helped up immeasurably. In fact, I think it should be must-see-TV for people who are going to foster or adopt a rescue dog ... because rehabilitation is inevitable.

      Anyway, I definitely need to get my head on straight and post up some new news.

      I think we might be on our way toward normal ... but no doubt there are some bumps, curves, and potholes left in the road.

      I'll do my best to post soon, and I'm so glad you asked.

      Delete
  6. No pressure to write! It's just good to know that he's doing better! Have a great summer! By the way, I'm not used to posting on blogs and I'm using AIM as my profile, since I don't have the others listed. Have no idea why it's posting just a bunch of characters as my name - I'm not trying to hide! Debbie ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came to check on Mojo...I too was wondering how things were going...but I guess no news is good news!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We miss mojo:). Glad to hear he is doing better!

    ReplyDelete